26.12.08

The Essential Difference Between A Human and A Rock

Do you know the differences between human and rock? First, and perhaps this answer will come out from all of you, a human is a living thing while a rock is the opposite. Second, a rock can 'live' for decades while a human can only survive at a maximum age of 120 years or so. What other differences can you find between both of them?

A friend of mine asked me a couple years ago, "Do you know, Mit, the essential difference between a rock and a human?"

I thought for a while, then answered, "Human lives."

He laughed and then said, "Hmm.. okay, that too is the essential one. But that's not what I mean."

"So? What's your point?" I asked him.

He laughed again and asked me back, "Have you ever seen a rock when it drops? When it touches the ground, perhaps it comes up again once, or twice, or more."

"I still don't get the point," I cut his explanation.

"But at the end," he ignore my impatience, "That rock will stop and stay on the ground."

I remembered smiling at him after he said that sentence, then said, "Now I know what you mean, Pal. A human can always rise again everytime he/she fall, right?"

"Yep!" he raised his two tumbs up. "No matter what, a human will always be able to stand up still, sometimes even get higher than his/her position before."

"But still," I continued, "that will occur in a condition when he/she realizes that he/she can still survive in his/her life again after the fall."

"That's what friends are for, Pal," he said with his hand tap my shoulder.

"Hmm.. I have to thank Allah SWT many times because he has given a friend like you to me," I huddled him.

He laughed again and said, "Yeah, you should."

Inspired by a friend's true story and a friend's quote :

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in always rising everytime we fall."

Thanks to Mogi Aria Kusumah and Andri Caesartama Madian.

5 comments:

melur said...

i've BEEN to the LOWEST point of my life... when i was jobless, lost someone accompanying me for nearly 4 years, money crisis, got a big fight with my besties, all at the same time... but all you gotta do is believe and i did... i manage to get the wheel of life spun back to the way it used to be... it may take a long time... but TIME HEALS BEST, doesn't it?

thank you for sharing this mit :)

Unknown said...

Hmm.. that's life, Yuy.. and you have to live with its all difficulties..

just remember this.. when you fall, just wake yourself up as soon as you can; rearrange all aspects in your life the way you want; and pray so Allah will always give the best for you..

come on! you have to prove everywoman that you're a superwoman, heheh..

melur said...

yup! it took a while, but i did it! yippie....saya naik kelas!!! :D

Alhamdulillah...

Anonymous said...

mith..

who is "he"..? hehhe

Unknown said...

nda.. it's just my imagination.. heheh..